Sunday, October 10, 2010

BP5_Math Playground Web 2.0 Tool




Math playground is an interactive website to practice math skills. It’s math made fun for elementary and middle school students! Students can practice and learn math skills by playing math games, answering word problems, working logic puzzles or watching math videos for help with specific skills. This website was developed by a mathematics teacher in 2002 to help students learn math in an exciting way.

This week I used math playground with my 7th grade math students. My objectives for class were to practice multiplying integers and use the rules for multiplication.
Integers Warp Game is a multiplayer learning game, which allows students to play one another and race for the fasted time multiplying two integers. The player with the fasted and most accurate skills wins. This game is set up to race up to four students at a time. Students create a player name and join either a public or private game. Public games are set up to play anyone even the computer. Private games however are set up to play within your classroom. 

My students' created private games and shared their passwords.  Then they began their games and raced to the finish line.  How quickly they answered determined how fast their spaceship went.  

My students and I found this game to be very interactive and a fun way to put a new twist on practicing math skills. 

They are begging everyday to practice math facts, WOW what a change this site has made on the way I plan skill practice and homework. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of teachers helping teachers! Your post does that on multiple levels because you are helping others by informing them of this neat tool and it was also created by a teacher.

    I think it is a necessity for students to have an engaging way to learn the rote memorization information such as math facts. As an elementary teacher married to a middle school math teacher I can surely attest to the need for the younger students to memorize their math facts so work is easier as they get older.

    Thanks for sharing this site with us. I am sure it will come in handy when my husband offers math tutoring or has extra time in class. Oops, seems like I am too late. He just walked through and told me they have been using this site already. They love it as much as you do, Jana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I had this when I was in school because I am terrible at math,lol. This is a great post because it seems to be one that you know how to use to its fullest capabilities.

    This tool is a great example of how a student can learn with out feeling like they are learning. A lot of these games are games kids would play without it being educational. As a result, I believe they will maintain more of what they learn through the tool.

    ReplyDelete