Saturday, October 16, 2010

BP9_Bitstrips for Schools






Bitstrips for Schools is an educational tool that stimulates creative thinking through student created comics. This web-based tool is easy to use and a fun way for kids to learn. It teaches a wide variety of critical thinking skills such as, visual and media literacy, inference-making and digital storytelling. 
I used Bitstrips for Schools with my Pre-algebra class. 
Each student created an avatar which reflected their own unique personality. 
This web-site was extremely easy to set up a class and post an activity.  
Each student created their own comic strip to demonstrate the Distributive Property. 
I was able to monitor their progress and post comments as they developed their storyboards.
 
I was able to send each comic strip back to the student with my editing comments before they submitted their final piece.
My students were engaged and used creative thinking skills to learn math concepts!

Here are a few comments from my class:

Sanya said "This website is great for kids and there classes no matter what their doing. It lets you make comic strips to perhaps demonstrate something. This website will help your students or children learn quickly by making it fun!"

Danica said, "This website is great for kids to learn and have fun all at the same time! It's appropriate for school and helps teachers teach their students with something they enjoy!" 



Garrett said, "This is an awesome website you can do really cool things and it makes math kind of fun and you can be really creative."

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jana! When you first told me that you were going to have the students create a comic on the Distributive property, I thought it would be hard. Your example clearly proved me wrong. It looks pretty easy and if your students can do it, then I need to check this out! I love how your example shows a little of the students' personalities, and it is very intriguing to me. This resource goes beyond learning the distributive property, it goes into writing, storyboarding, teamwork, etc. Thank you for sharing this resource with us, I can't wait to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this is pretty cool. I was an art geek in cool and I would have love to have this in the class room. I like that fact that you used this tool as a class project. Some times it is difficult to find a class project that is not only educational but is fun for all the students in your class. I agree with the comment above, this tool goes beyond distributive property. This tool would be great in an english class. I would use the project in an writing and grammar exercise. I think it would be fun for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete