Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wk2 Comment #1 to Heather Anderson

Heather wrote:
The Amazing Power of "A"
I have never liked grades even though I have always strived to get straight A's or high scores of some sort. Grades and scores on tests never really seem to describe my potential as a student or a person. I could get 100% in a class and feel like I have learned nothing. I could also try really hard and spend countless hours on a spanish essay, yet only recieve a B, because the teacher didn't believe I was capable of every achieving an A. Needless to say, I didn't always try my hardest to achieve the grades, but I always expected good grades.

After reading the third chapter in the Art of Possibilty, I reviewed my perspective of both giving and receiving grades. If there was no struggle to worry about the grade and the outcome in the end, would the student apply herself more during each lesson? Would she worry more about what she is learning rather than what label she is going to receive at the end of the course? I thought about my experiences throughout all of my education. Through high school, it was only about the grade, I don't remember what I learned or why teachers chose to teach us certain material. But in college, I started to pay attention to my learning more. I found myself enjoying studying the material and I could actually remembered what I learned! I stopped caring about the grades. But with this new found love and enjoyment of learning, the high scores and A grades came naturally.

I love the idea of giving everyone an A at the beginning of the course or class. It tells the students that you believe in them and you believe in their successes as students and people. I would love to try this with my students, however my students are still very young and haven't had much exposure to grades, so they don't quite understand the pressure yet. I think I will try it with an older grade at some point to see how they act differently.

We should get rid of grades altogether, but unfortunately states think that numbers and grades are what defines a school and it's students. If that frame of thinking were to change, then I think everyone would be more successful regardless of who they are or what they are studying!




Heather,
I agree giving everyone an A at the beginning would certainly convey the belief you have in your students’ success. Isn’t it funny how reading something can throw you back in time and have you relive an experience with a teacher. (Good or Bad)
Image from Creative Commons
moonstarsandpaper.blogspot.com


That is why as educators we must take a hard look in the mirror. What other profession has such an impact on the lives of others?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment