Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wk3 Comment #1 to Leah Frye


Leah wrote:
Conducting from any chair was a wonderful chapter illustrating from both a leader’s and a contributor’s point of view. My thoughts drifted by all the “chairs” I have taught from and the effectiveness of each. Just for starters, next year I’ll have students running the controls at my computer when I am engaging the class using the screen or the smart board.
RULE #6- “There aren’t any [more]” I heard myself laughing again. This chapter is all about the power of humor and lightening-up. As I read, I wrote down so many ideas but I’ll only share this one memory:
My Little Man (LM as we call him) and his friend Lucas were having a wonderful afternoon playing. They spent most of the time over here then decided to go across the street to Lucas’ house. I watched them walk over, noticed some rogue dandelions and began pulling a few out. Suddenly, from across the street came the “f” word repeated several times and the slam of a car door. The next thing I knew, a very heated argument erupted between two men in Lucas’ driveway. The “f “ word was being used for every part of speech. I just sent my son over there!! Without any more thought, I marched over. With one hand waving a finger, and the other holding up my long skirt so as not to trip, I walked between the two announcing, “Gentlemen! I am getting the boys. You can continue this once we are gone!” They both just kind of stood in place with their mouths open for a few moments, then continued the barrage of nastiness.
Both boys were scared and crying as we walked back to our place. They were still pretty tense for a bit going on about what had happened. I explained that sometimes adults say things they wouldn’t normally say when they are angry. But that didn’t really help. To lighten things up I did something that LM and me do quite often when I want to engage him in play. I walked up to LM, finger pointing, eyebrows down, eyes squinting, saying, “Yooou….Yooou!” I usually tickle him with the out stretched finger, but I didn’t have a chance this time. He returned the act with the same expression, pointing his little finger saying, “Yoooou….Yoooouu…….Boogerface!” I turned to Lucas who was sitting in the couch behind me and looking more worried then ever.
I asked, “ Did you just hear what he called me??”
Wide eyed and fingers in his mouth he said, “yes….”
“He called me a boogerface!? Who calls someone else a boogerface??” Lucas’ now confused expression 


suddenly sprang into a giggling smile, “…boogerface.” he whispered as LM giggled from behind me. Within minutes, they were back to the business of playing, laughing, and enjoying each other’s company.

The way things are. I mentioned in wimba the other night about how I sometimes feel like I’m thinking like a spoiled teenager, rolling my eyes (in my head ofcourse) as I try to deal with an administration with a lack of warmth and sunshine. As a matter of fact they have rained on many of our parades over the last couple years. Although I still wait for the next criticism to come (“how fascinating” I’d love to say), I am starting to relax and really focus more on my students. How can I help my students be their best, learn and enjoy my class, instead of changing who I am and my love for teaching only to please a few.

The best way for me to describe giving away to passion is something that I have felt guilt over. A good teacher has all in place and sticks with the lesson from start to finish. This has always been my belief. However, I am guilty of going with the flow of the lesson. If in the middle of creating I have a new idea of how the students my benefit more from the lesson, then I will change that part right then and there. If the students find personal connections, I let as many as I can speak before we move on. This has meant that my lesson maps are often off by a few weeks by the end of the year. 


image by
jontintinjordan's photostream
Leah,
After I read chapter 5 I too began drifting back to all the “chairs” and reliving the faces of former students. Did I overlook a potential leader? Well, I can’t go back but I can look forward and keep the mindset that I gained from the “Art of Possibility”.



image by

CarbonNYC's photostream



Thanks for sharing the story about Little Man I would have loved to see the men’s faces when you walked between them. (Priceless)  As a cheer coach I must use RULE #6 daily. Whether dealing with drama between my squad members or their parents I must remember not to take things so serious.
I agree humor can help diffuse a potential touchy situation.   

No comments:

Post a Comment