Saturday, May 7, 2011

Wk1 Comment #1 to Pat Ort


I think teachers really get squeezed when it comes to copyright because many don’t know where to look for copyright free material that is also cost free.  The Internet is a really big place, and resources that seem obvious to some are not all that easy to find for others. FSO has really helped me with that this year. As other students have shared resources, I have finally begun to find places to get music that my students can use and which don’t cost me anything.  I still need to broaden that list of resources, though.

The drive to integrate technology into the classroom puts teachers and students in situations where they may need music or images they can’t make themselves.  Digital natives resist the idea that they can’t share the things they find on in the Internet freely, and in any way they like. I have spent all year reinforcing the idea that you can’t use someone else’s work without their permission.  We are doing better, but often kids have a specific image or piece of music in mind when they think up a project.  When they find out they can’t use those things, they have a hard time coming up with alternatives.  Actually, sometimes so do I.  I needed medieval music for my class movie.  I did purchase some music from iStock Photo, but it was a very limited selection. And no. I can’t make that in Garage Band.

I use online videos a lot, embedding them in my school web pages or blog.  I could never create all of that myself.  The rules about copyright can be a little slippery, too. Colleges, for example, can do some things that K-12 can’t, and vice-versa. And the rules change.  I have required my students to use copyright free sources and to document their sources.  However, it is still hard to be sure every item is safe and to check every student’s sources.

Pat,
I agree that our digitally native students must be required to use copyright free sources. Often times it’s a battle because they are so adept at sharing and copying. (Not necessarily all legal) I feel the only way to change their thinking is to educate them further on the copyright legalities. These copyright laws must be taught in correlation with the projects using technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment