Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wk3 Reading: Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8

My major highlight in this week’s reading was the question from chapter:
How much greatness are we willing to grant people? 
I think this is a valid point whether working with colleagues or students. 
Are we willing to pass the baton?


image by 

tableatny's photostream


Passing the baton in your classroom could mean changing your instruction from teacher given to student driven. The “sage on the stage” disappears and the self-directed learning takes its place. Imagine using Ben Zander’s technique of the “silent conductor” within your own classroom. I wonder what my own students would say if given the chance and called upon to lead. 

I’m sort of in a leadership position at my school district and reading the stories from students made me rethink my leadership style. I must remember the point Amanda made about leadership not being a responsibility but in fact a shining gift. I think I got so comfortable leading that I forgot to shine. 

I know I keep going on about his “white sheet” stories but they made such an impression on me. My Middle School is about to begin the “Leader in Me” program based on Stephen R. Covey's 7 Habits and as I read this book I can’t help thinking about our endless possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jana,

    I relished your comments on Holly's Blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana,

    I like the image of passing the baton being tied to changing from teacher driven to student driven. I think the Zanders offer so much insight for teachers and leaders in our field. Our schools could benefit from some introspection on many levels. I really liked how you stated that your leadership position is a shining gift. I am in a similar position in my district and I think that I need to remember what an awesome position it is. Great insight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete